I guess you could call it either way, but enough people depend on Pig
these days that we wanted to move it into core for 0.8.  It's still in
contrib/ because nobody actually had the time to do the requisite ant
wrangling, but it's effectively as important as the o.a.c.hadoop
package (which is where we want to move it).

No, I would not re-roll a release to fix example code.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra