> Until recently we were working hard to reach a set of goals that
> culminated in a 1.0 release.  I'm not sure we've had a formal
> discussion on it, but just talking to people, there seems to be
> consensus around the idea that we're now shifting our goals and
> priorities around some (usability, stability, etc).  If that's the
> case, I think we should at least be open to reevaluating our release
> process and schedule accordingly (whether that means lengthening,
> shorting, and/or simply shifting the barrier-to-entry for stable
> updates).

Personally I am all for added stability, quality, and testing. But I
don't see how a decreased release frequency will cause more stability.
It may be that decreased release frequency is the necessary *result*
of more stability, but I don't think the causality points in the other
direction unless developers ship things early to get it into the
release.

But also keep in mind: If we reach a point where major users of
Cassandra need to run on significantly divergent versions of Cassandra
because the release is just too old, the "normal" mainstream release
will end up getting even less testing.

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode, http://worldmodscode.wordpress.com)