@Jason,

I have a lot of experience with SOLR + ES, but mainly for search.  (i.e.
Finding the most relevant records given a query)
That's been working well, but now we have requirements to support
dashboards.  Those dashboards have aggregations in them (sum, average,
count(s), etc).  I have limited experience using filter functions and
facets to achieve similar things w/ Lucene, but they never seemed to
perform well when the sets were large.

If Lucene/SOLR/ES can support this kind of functionality, we'd gladly use
it instead. (Let me know!)

When we looked around, Druid seemed to fit the bill exactly: (and it was
open source)
http://metamarkets.com/2011/druid-part-i-real-time-analytics-at-a-billion-r
ows-per-second/

BTW, here is more information on the compression that Druid uses:
http://metamarkets.com/2012/druid-bitmap-compression/

To echo Matt's sentiment, we'd love to leverage a C* native capability for
this.
(Acunu provides most of the capability, but it isn't open source)

I think once we have the "conditional write" semantics that are coming, we
could layer this on top of C*. (extending the secondary indexes
functionality)

-brian

---
Brian O'Neill
Lead Architect, Software Development
Health Market Science
The Science of Better Results
2700 Horizon Drive € King of Prussia, PA € 19406
M: 215.588.6024 € @boneill42 <http://www.twitter.com/boneill42>  €
healthmarketscience.com

This information transmitted in this email message is for the intended
recipient only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If
you received this email in error and are not the intended recipient, or
the person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, please
contact the sender at the email above and delete this email and any
attachments and destroy any copies thereof. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination, copying or other use of, or taking any action in reliance
upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is strictly prohibited.