First off, full disclosure: contributor, committer, PMC member, and
finally, Datastax employee, in about that order chronologically.

All of the drivers, as far as I know, are Apache licensed, just as is
Cassandra itself.  There is no 'control', there is only momentum, since
anyone can fork the code if needed and then perhaps gain the momentum if
Datastax loses it.  Nobody is locked in to anything, and no sufficient
traction has been found to take the momentum away from Datastax yet,
because at least in my own admittedly biased opinion, our drivers team has
done an excellent job of accepting community feedback and requests.

tl;dr don't fix what is not broken