I respectfully disagree.  "Newbies" should be pointed in the direction that
will ensure the highest possibility of their success with the product.
This is the best decision for the project, regardless of where the
documentation may reside.

As one of the authors of an early book on Cassandra, the reason we wrote it
was because the ASF documentation was abysmal.  Now I am happy to say that
the book I wrote is obsolete, not just because it was written against an
early version of Cassandra, but because the external documentation is so
thorough the need for a book to be written in no longer present.

If the ASF and the PMC want to promote internal documentation, then a
serious amount of time and effort needs to be put into the documentation.
This goes for every project in the ASF. The current state of documentation
in any of the Apache projects sub-standard at best.

You make mention, several times, of the community, and in this case the
community has decided that the best source of documentation is the one that
has had a company put financial investment into it.  You can't expect a
community of unpaid volunteers to be able to coordinate and contribute
something of that high quality.

Full disclosure, I am *not* on the PMC, nor am I an employee of DataStax or
any other company that provides support for an open source project. I am a
member of the community that sees the highest probability of success of
this project being that the PMC supports the development of the core
product while the ancillary pieces like documentation and drivers get
supported by those who are paid to support it.  Because lets all face the
facts here, no one "likes" writing drivers and documentation, and I have
done both for this project.

Suffice it to say, that in my opinion, these "companies" that you seem to
be trying so hard to vilify are the future of projects like this. They fill
the gap that the ASF leaves with its volunteer based model.

Also, to address your thinly veiled and pointed comments as of late.  It
seems you have already made up your mind about DataStax and are continuing
in an effort to prove your point.  Doing this in a public manner is toxic
for the community and will do nothing more than to divide it and risk
failure of the project.  I suggest you confer with the PMC and the company
*privately* to determine what is best for the project and ultimately the
community.

Best,
-Russell Bradberry