It was brought up recently at the PMC level that our goals as a
project are not terribly clear.

This is a pretty good point as outside of Jira 'Fix Version' labelling
(which we actually suck less at compared to a lot of other ASF
projects) this really isnt tracked anywhere outside of general tribal
knowledge about who is working on what.

I would like to see us change this for two reasons:
- it's important we are clear with our community about where we are going
- we need to start working more closely together

To that end, i've put together a list (in no particular order) of the
*major* features in which I know folks are interested, have patches
coming, are awaiting design review, etc.:

- CASSANDRA-9425 Immutable node-local schema
- CASSANDRA-10699 Strongly consistent schema alterations
- CASSANDRA-12229 NIO streaming
- CASSANDRA-8457 NIO messaging
- CASSANDRA-12345 Gossip 2.0
- CASSANDRA-9754 Birch trees

What did I miss? What else would folks like to see? Specifically, this
should be "new stuff that could/will break things" given we are upping
the major version.

To be clear, it's not my intention to set this in stone and then beat
people about the head with it. More to have it there to point it at a
high level and foster better communication with our users from the
perspective of an open source project.

Please keep in mind that given everything else going on, I think it's
a fantastic idea to keep this list small and spend some time focusing
on stability particularly as we transition to a new release process.

-Nate