On 11/04/2016 06:43 PM, Jeff Beck wrote:
> I run the local Cassandra User Group and I would love to help get the
> community more involved.  I would propose holding a night to add patches to
> Cassandra some will be simple things like making sure some asserts have
> proper messages with them etc, but some may be slightly larger. The goal
> being to just get people used to the process, to help make this a success
> it would be great if we could have support on getting the patches we submit
> at least looked at briefly in 1 month. That timeframe allows us to talk
> about it at the next meetup and show people their contributions even small
> ones are valued.

This is a great idea and I have a suggestion that would benefit the
project as a whole, as well as help new people get used to the
development process:

  Document the process.

Recently, the project included documentation in the source tree under
`doc/`, which is directly presented at
https://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/

The red bar at the top has a link to contributions, there are docs about
getting started with development, reviewing patches, and testing. If
those docs need updating for better readability, missing steps, hints
for new contributors, etc. I think this could be one of the most
valuable contributions a user group could make, as well as provide some
initial experience in the development process itself.

> Before we did this night I would probably dig through some tickets and get
> an example list going and any feedback notes on making the process easier
> would be great.

Some more ideas:
The user group members could get themselves set up in JIRA in order to
review one another's patches, get a feel for testing patches, go through
the motions of *how* to contribute improvements, and again, get
documentation change patches up in JIRA, so everyone benefits from your
experiences, as the group works through the process.

> Generally if there is anything you need from the meetups ask I know I will
> do my best to get the local group to support things.

Thanks for the interest!

--
Kind regards,
Michael