In tree would foster more committers which is a good thing. But I also agree
that not being able to actually run unit tests is a bad thing. What if we asked
people who want to contribute these types of optimizations to provide the ASF
with a Jenkins slave we could test them on, if they want them in tree?

Otherwise one good thing about out of tree is that the maintainer can specify
"this plugin has been tested and works with Apache Cassandra version X.Y.Z". If
it is in tree it is assumed it will work. If it is out of tree then the plugin
can more easily notify a user what version it was last tested with.  And users
won't be surprised if they upgrade and things break.