the nodes have 32G ram, there are no other processes running.

Thanks for the info about the g1gc.
I used bootstrap resume to finish the bootstrap, then added another two
nodes.
This worked, but I saw in munin a constantly rising memory consumption
during streaming, while on the other nodes there was a constantly amount
of memory used. Nothing was killed this time, since the streaming took
much less time to complete.
I think I'll switch to cms on the problem node and compare the memory
usage and compare the nodetool info output.

 Michael