> If we provide a way to drop the flag, but still access the data, I think that
> is fine and perfectly reasonable.  If the proposal here is that users who
> have data in COMPACT STORAGE tables have no way to upgrade to 4.0 and still
> access that data without exporting it to a brand new table, then I am against
> it.  Can you clarify which thing is being proposed?  It is not clear to me.

A bit of details on how compact storage and all thrift tables are implemented:

When a table is created through thrift or with COMPACT STORAGE flag, it has a
`value` column, which is invisible when doing any CQL queries and only seen
through Thrift.
With SuperColumn families, internally (on the storage level) have a partition
key, clustering and a value column that has a type of `map<>`. Thrift exposes
it as a “normal” super column family. CQL, however, does not expose this `map`
column. Instead, it translates the key of the map into the second clustering
and a map value as a regular column.

All of this requires quite some special-casing everywhere across the CQL layer,
in order to hide/show and translate the columns depending on whether the table
is dense, super and so on.

For more details you can take a look at 8099 or 12373.

In short: dropping a COMPACT STORAGE flag means that your tables will be
accessible and their internal representation (e.g. hidden value column) will be
exposed as if it was a normal column. No data will be lost, no data will be
inaccessible. You can take a look at the details of CASSANDRA-10857 if you want
more details.

As regards SuperColumn families, my proposal is to have a 100% support in
3.0/3.11 (LWTs, counters, all sorts of queries, exactly like they were
accessible through CQL in 2.2).

There will be a clear upgrade path, but I suggest that the DROP COMPACT STORAGE
has to be in 3.x only.

4.x will still make the same data available, but expose the whole internal CQL
structure, together with a usually “hidden" compact value column, without any
legacy special-casing.