From my point of view there should be a single log file, defaults to info.
Debug level should contain all useful info even if it means lower performance,
trace should contain all possible relevant info. If some loggers (or groups)
are known to cause huge performance hits they should be disabled by default.
--
Jacques-Henri Berthemet

-----Original Message-----
From: kurt greaves [mailto:k...@instaclustr.com]
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 3:18 AM
To: dev@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Debug logging enabled by default since 2.2

On the same page as Michael here. We disable debug logs in production due to
the performance impact. Personally I think if debug logging is necessary for
users to use the software we're doing something wrong. Also in my experience,
if something doesn't reproduce it will not get fixed. Debug logging helps, but
I've never seen a case where an actual bug simply
*doesn't* reproduce eventually, and I'm sure if this issue appears debug
logging could be enabled after the fact for the relevant classes and eventually
it will reoccur and we could solve the problem. I've never seen a user say no
to helping debug a problem with patched jars/changes to their system (like
logging). I'd much prefer we pushed that harder rather than just saying
"Everyone gets debug logging!". I'm also really not sold that debug logging
saves the day. To me it mostly just speeds up the identification process, it
generally doesn't expose magical information that wasn't available before, you
just had to think about it a bit more.

In a way the real issue might be that we don’t have nightly performance
> runs that would make an accidentally introduced debug statement obvious.

This is an issue, but I don't think it's the *real* issue. As already noted,
debug logging is for debugging, which normal users shouldn't have to think
about when they are just operating the software. We shouldn't risk performance
regressions just for developer convenience.