Hi,

I have a Cassandra 3.11 table (with compact storage) and using secondary
indices with rather unique data stored in the indexed columns. There are
many inserts and deletes, so in order to avoid tombstones piling up I'm
re-using primary keys from a pool (which works fine).
I'm aware that this design pattern is not ideal, but for now I can not
change it easily.

The problem is, the size of 2nd index tables keeps growing (filled with
tombstones) no matter what.

I tried some aggressive configuration (just for testing) in order to
expedite the tombstone removal but with little-to-zero effect:
COMPACTION = { 'class':
'LeveledCompactionStrategy', 'unchecked_tombstone_compaction': 'true',
'tombstone_compaction_interval': 600 }
gc_grace_seconds = 600

I'm aware that perhaps Materialized views could provide a solution to this,
but I'm bind to the Thrift interface, so can not use them.

Questions:
1. Is there something I'm missing? How come compaction does not remove the
obsolete indices/tombstones from 2nd index tables? Can I trigger the
cleanup manually somehow?
I have tried nodetool flush, compact, rebuild_index on both data table and
internal Index table, but with no result.

2. When deleting a record I'm deleting the whole row at once - which would
create one tombstone for the whole record if I'm correct. Would it help to
delete the indexed columns separately creating extra tombstone for each
cell?
As I understand the underlying mechanism, the indexed column value must be
read in order a proper tombstone for the index is created for it.

3. Could the fact that I'm reusing the primary key of a deleted record
shortly for a new insert interact with the secondary index tombstone
removal?

Will be grateful for any advice.

Regards,
Roman