It’s not like this is an irrevocable change.

If we encounter a scenario that seems to question its validity, or its general
applicability, it can be raised on the mailing list and we can revisit the
decision, surely?  I can think of at least one way to weaken the rules in such
a scenario, without frustrating the goal, but why complicate things when we
can’t even yet imagine a situation to need it - besides discouraging a new
contributor who, let’s be honest, was going to have their patch languish for a
few months while somebody found time to review it anyway.  At least this way we
can give them a decent excuse!