It should work fine with num_tokens: 1

Without vnodes it also flushes to per-range sstables (if you have RF=3 you
will "always" get 3 sstables after flush), while with vnodes it groups the
ranges and flushes a full disk, so if you have a single
data_file_directories you get only one sstable, then compaction will write
them out to per-range sstables once they accumulates enough data.

/Marcus