> And I would suggest to go further and crash the build with JDK1.7 so we
can take away the possibility for users to shoot their foot off this way.

I like this suggestion. Either we should be on the side of NO support to
JDK 1.7, or if we say we support JDK1.7, I believe we should be building
against JDK1.7 to make sure we are compliant.
I have a quick clarifying question here - I believe origin of
CASSANDRA-14563 is from the introduction of an API in 2.2 that is
incompatible with 1.7, that has then been manually detected and fixed. Are
you suggesting, going further, we would not support 1.7?

> Currently I'm unclear on how we would make a stable release using only
JDK8, maybe their are plans on the table i don't know about?

>From the current state of build.xml and from the past discussions, I do
believe as well, that we need both JDKs to make a 4.0 release using
‘_build_multi_java’. Bonus would be that, the release would also be able to
run against Java11, but that would be an experimental release.

> I'm not familiar with optional jobs or workflows in CircleCi, do you have
an example of what you mean at hand?

By optional, I was referring to having workflow definitions in place, but
calls to those workflows commented out. Basically similar to what we have
today.
workflows:
    version: 2
    build_and_run_tests: *default_jobs
    #build_and_run_tests: *with_dtest_jobs_only
    #build_and_run_tests_java11: *with_dtest_jobs_java11
Jason created CASSANDRA-14609 for this purpose I believe.

> Off-topic, but what are your thoughts on this? Can we add `ant
artifacts`, and the building of the docs, as a separate jobs into the
existing default CircleCI workflow? I think we should also be looking into
getting https://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/ automatically updated
after each successful trunk build, and have
https://cassandra.apache.org/doc/X.Y versions on the docs in place (which
are only updated after each patch release).

I like all these ideas! I believe we should be able to add a workflow to
test out artifact generation. Will create a JIRA for this. Your suggestions
around auto-update of docs provides a way to keep our website docs
up-to-date. Not sure what it takes to do it though. Will be happy to
explore (as part of separate JIRAs).

Thanks,
Sumanth