Hi

I've unpacked binary distribution & noticed that we ship many files in the
javadoc directory - more than 5 thousand files, that occupy 99Mb on disk
out of 149Mb for whole unpacked Cassandra.

If we look from practical standpoint - do we expect that people who run
Cassandra will use javadoc for any purpose?  I know that it often contains
useful details about implementation, but if we talk about day-to-day work,
imho, these files aren't required, at least not on every machine that has
Cassandra on it.

Maybe we can generate a separate artifact for Javadoc files?

Mick Semb Wever  at "Fri, 07 Feb 2020 21:02:09 +0100" wrote:
 MSW> The Cassandra team is pleased to announce the release of Apache Cassandra
version 4.0-alpha3.

 MSW> Apache Cassandra is a fully distributed database. It is the right choice
when you need scalability and high availability without compromising
performance.

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/cassandra/4.0-alpha3/apache-cassandra-4.0-alpha3-bin.tar.gz

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/cassandra/4.0-alpha3/apache-cassandra-4.0-alpha3-src.tar.gz

 MSW> Debian and Redhat configurations.

 MSW>   sources.list:
 MSW>   deb http://www.apache.org/dist/cassandra/debian 40x main

 MSW>   yum config:
 MSW>   baseurl=https://www.apache.org/dist/cassandra/redhat/40x/

 MSW> See http://cassandra.apache.org/download/ for full install instructions.

 MSW> This is an ALPHA version! It is not intended for production use, however
 MSW> the project would appreciate your testing and feedback to make the final
 MSW> release better. As always, please pay attention to the release notes[2]
 MSW> and let us know[3] if you encounter any problems.

 MSW> Enjoy!

 MSW> [1]: CHANGES.txt
?p=cassandra.git;a=blob_plain;f=CHANGES.txt;hb=refs/tags/cassandra-4.0-alpha3
 MSW> [2]: NEWS.txt
?p=cassandra.git;a=blob_plain;f=NEWS.txt;hb=refs/tags/cassandra-4.0-alpha3
 MSW> [3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA

With best wishes,                    Alex Ott
Principal Architect, DataStax
http://datastax.com/