Given the JIRA in question, if you want to override the timeout to lower
it, then the worst case if not supported yet is that you get the default
timeout.  So this then makes me wonder "is there a way to add metadata to a
message which is ignored if unknown" (aka forward compatibility).  Skimming
the frame code i see we have

boolean isCustomPayload =
frame.header.flags.contains(Frame.Header.Flag.CUSTOM_PAYLOAD);
boolean hasWarning = frame.header.flags.contains(Frame.Header.Flag.WARNING);

UUID tracingId = isRequest || !isTracing ? null : CBUtil.readUUID(frame.body);
List<String> warnings = isRequest || !hasWarning ? null :
CBUtil.readStringList(frame.body);
Map<String, ByteBuffer> customPayload = !isCustomPayload ? null :
CBUtil.readBytesMap(frame.body);

This makes me wonder if we could picky back off that for new features, that
way older servers just ignore them. I have no idea of the negatives of
customPayload (other than strings are more bytes for messages, evolution
may be based off key names so annoying, etc.), but tags which are ignored
sounds promising