What I'm used to is having two buckets for a release: tickets in the
release (if not complete they are blockers), and triage. How this is done
isn't important but I do feel it's important to have both.

Right now I don't see a active triage, but to Josh's point we would need to
know who should first. Without answering, let me ask a question; should I
(non committer) be adding blockers? If I add a blocker who should verify it
should block? What if project members elect non-commiters to do this?