It's been three weeks since the last update¹. What follows is a quick
state of affairs and a few questions for anyone to jump in and help
with.

The ASF CI is running at
https://ci-cassandra.apache.org/view/branches/ and will soon have 36
builds agents in total.  Thanks to Instaclustr, Amazon, iland, and
DataStax. The previous `builds.apache.org` is now retired for all
Cassandra builds.

** Broken Builds

Tests results continue to improve. Last week at one point we saw trunk
down to 24 test failures for the whole pipeline.  That's including
three runs of unit tests (normal, cdc, compression) and three runs of
dtests (normal, novnode, offheap).   Because of that it was easy to
see the breakage CASSANDRA-15684. Breakages happen, but to be able to
spot them so quickly is a win!

** Emails on Broken Builds

Currently you will only get a broken build email if you break the
artifacts stage of the pipeline.

Pipeline stages that are now consistently passing and are candidates
for adding broken build email notifications to are:
  - Cassandra-2.2-jvm-dtest
  - Cassandra-2.2-long-test
  - Cassandra-3.0-jvm-dtest
  - Cassandra-3.0-long-test
  - Cassandra-3.0-test
  - Cassandra-3.11-jvm-dtest
  - Cassandra-3.11-long-test
  - Cassandra-3.11-test
  - Cassandra-3.11-stress-test
  - Cassandra-3.11-test-compression
  - Cassandra-trunk-fqltool-test
  - Cassandra-trunk-stress-test
  - Cassandra-trunk-test
  - Cassandra-trunk-test-compression
  - Cassandra-trunk-test-burn

Given no objection, I will add broken email notification to these,
starting with the smaller stages that have been longest stable.
Please make sure that you are not filtering out emails from
jenk...@builds.apache.org so you get to know you broke it before
someone has to tell you.

** Our ci-cassandra Jenkins versus CircleCI

Thanks to David Capwell, who spent some time comparing ci-cassandra to CircleCI.

His findings were…
  - There's a reasonable match across the unit, stress, fql, and
jvm-dtest tests.
  - CircleCI does not run the cdc unit, burn, long unit, cqlsh tests,
or offheap dtests.
  - ci-cassandra does not have JDK 11 test runs, or the upgrade
(jvm-dtest and dtest) tests.
  - The cqlsh tests: which only ci-cassandra runs; are broken in trunk
with the recent python3 upgrade.

** Why are cdc and compression unit tests run separately?

Why do we duplicate unit test runs for cdc and compression?
Is there any ML or ticket to provide history on this?
Can we not instead just enable these settings in the normal unit run?

regards,
Mick

¹)
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/re8122e4fdd8629e7fbca2abf27d72054b3bc0e3690ece8b8e66f618b%40%3Cdev.cassandra.apache.org%3E