> we still produce incorrect results as shown by CASSANDRA-15313; this is a
> correctness issue, so must be a blocker for v5 protocol.

That makes complete sense; I'd somehow missed the incorrect results aspect
in trying to get context on the work. I'd be eager to hear about progress
on it as well.

Regarding the question of "why would users test if we haven't tested yet",
I respectfully disagree both on the assertion we haven't tested yet as well
as on the distinction between an "us vs. them" in the community. We're all
users and participants in the Cassandra community and ecosystem so anyone
downloading the DB to test it out is just as vital as one of us from the
dev list, committer list, or pmc list testing out the DB. While we can
reasonably expect a dev paid full time working on the project with a large
amount of infrastructure doing testing to be crucial to getting a release
out and doing certain kinds of testing, there are literally thousands of
different companies out in the world basing their critical infrastructure
on this project and them testing out their use-cases and migration is just
as critical to this release being ready. It takes a village.

Further, we have thousands of tests across all our suites, hundreds of new
use-case testing that has been done against 4.0 at this point, and 30+%
more bugs fixed in this release than 3.0; the blanket assertion that we
haven't tested 4.0 yet doesn't resonate with me. While we haven't done the
entirety of our final 40 beta phase testing yet, testing is constantly
going on against this codebase by both people on the ML and off.

Now, if there are major known glaring issues where we have problems that
would prevent users from actually testing out the beta and kicking the
tires, that's a different story entirely and I'd argue those tickets should
be reflected in the alpha phase (see: CASSANDRA-15299 apparently ;) )

Does that make sense?