I am also not fully clear on the motives, but welcome anything which helps
bring in better and more robust testing; thanks for starting this.

Since I can not comment in the doc I have to copy/paste and put here... =(

Reality
> investing in improving our smoke and integration testing as much as is
> possible with our current constraints seems prudent.

This section reads as very anti-adding tests to test/unit; I am 100% in
favor of improving/creating our smoke, integration, regression,
performance, E2E, etc. testing, but don't think I am as negative to
test/unit, these tests are still valuable and more are welcome.

To enumerate a punch list of traits we as engineers need from a testing
> suite

Would be good to speak about portability, accessibility, and version
independents.  If a new contributor wants to add tests to this suite they
need to be able to run it, and it should run within a "reasonable" time
frame; one of the big issuers with python dtests is that it takes 14+ hours
to run, this makes it no longer accessible to new contributors.