> So, here's what I've done, in an effort to make a space for both of these
groups to operate: the exact same thing we've done for every release in the
past. I created a branch for the 4.0 release.

I agree that everyone is free to work on whatever they want, but it seems
like having a 4.next branch isn't a prerequisite for any new (or ongoing)
development.

I appreciate the cheerful tone in which this message was written, but I
still think we should try and find an agreement on such things before
putting them into action.