Sheng Liu,

> The ARM CI will be a gate to ensure long term development support ARM64 in
> Cassandra.

The servers that Huawei have provided have been instrumental in
getting the build and tests running on arm64.  This is a huge
contribution to the community and I would like to say a big and public
"thank you" for the initiative from all of us.

> Now maybe we can consider more
> about  that, is it possible to publish releases with ARM specific binary
> packages like Hadoop[4] did?

Part of the CI pipeline is generating the tarball, debian and redhat
packages for each commit, which are now stored under nightlies. And we
now have those for ARM, for example:
https://nightlies.apache.org/cassandra/trunk/Cassandra-trunk-artifacts/519/Cassandra-trunk-artifacts/jdk=jdk_11_latest,label=cassandra-arm64/build/

Going from nightlies to releases, the biggest challenge I see is the
gpg signing of them.

>From ASF INFRA's policy¹ on releases:
 • Private keys must not be stored on any ASF machine. Likewise,
signatures for releases must not be created on ASF machines.

I don't know how Hadoop's release process² deals with it in its
create-release script³. From the 3.3.0 release, all staged artefacts
are listed together…⁴

But my understanding of it all is that we can't create ARM specific
releases until we have a release manager that owns an ARM machine
where they can keep their gpg private key. It might be possible to
create a release via SSH and gpg-agent⁵ if we update our release
scripts⁶, but this should be double-checked with INFRA.

To move forward on the issue, we need the following information:
 - how is hadoop creating (and gpg signing) multi-architecture
releases? Is it from multiple `create-release` executions?
 - are there other apache projects doing multi-architecture releases?
are they part of one release, or separately created and labelled
releases? how are they doing the gpg signing?
 - can we SSH gpg-agent sign releases on hardware the release manager
does not own?

> Or add an announcement about ARM platform support in Cassandra doc ?

Absolutely! I hope this becomes one significant part of the 4.0 announcement.

regards,
Mick

[1] https://infra.apache.org/release-distribution.html#sigs-and-sums
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP2/HowToRelease