Hi,

CASSANDRA-16882 has patches for any of the mentioned configurations aimed
to save CircleCI resources.

There are CircleCI runs showing how each approach would look like, plus an
additional fourth option:

1. Make the entire workflow optional:
https://app.circleci.com/pipelines/github/adelapena/cassandra/800/workflows/9cb8ca7b-ab57-431e-a22b-643d61c92c29
2. Make all the test jobs optional:
https://app.circleci.com/pipelines/github/adelapena/cassandra/798/workflows/a859cfbc-fdf8-4468-beb9-b2ee17dc1ae3
3. Make all the mandatory test jobs depend on a single optional job:
https://app.circleci.com/pipelines/github/adelapena/cassandra/802/workflows/0372f5d6-d1f0-4f0e-91a3-aa75a2712bae
4. Combine 2 and 3 to have approval jobs for both individual tests and the
grouped mandatory tests:
https://app.circleci.com/pipelines/github/adelapena/cassandra/803/workflows/08ae07d5-6a1e-4e5b-bc0c-32bdc9b9f190

I think that the fourth option gives us more flexibility, because it allows
us to start any combination of tests we want while it keeps the concept of
required tests.