> not because there's 600 pair of eyes watching
> this (TBH, if you didn't mention it, I wouldn't have noticed it)

oof; that wasn't my intent at all! :)

I think a clearly written and easy to find community
> guideline highlighting that this mailing list is suitable for beginner
> questions, and give some suggestions/recommendations

So maybe fleshing out the "How to Contribute" section of the website a bit
here: https://cassandra.apache.org/_/community.html#how-to-contribute?
Could maybe also link to the JIRA filters for test failures and starter
tickets for an appropriate workload to get started with.