Hi all

Really interesting discussion. I started reading this thread and still have
to catch-up a lot but based on my experience many big organizations
ultimately settle on having over-the-wire encryption combined with OS/disk
encryption to comply with the security requirements for various reasons
like,
1. Potential performance challenges at high scale of data movement/mirroring
2. Internal security groups/zoning structures and restrictions (like
restrictions on key sharing between zones etc which makes
mirroring/replication for cross-zone impossible)
3. Management/maintenance of the in-house Key Management System is quite a
challenging overhead for on-prem installations and when things move to
cloud, ultimately organizations opt-in for the cloud provider's on-disk
encryption and having over-the-wire encryption with TLS or using SASL over
SSL because the whole application migration/adoption becomes multi-year
challenging program.

We experienced challenges even with AES-NI/JDK9+/Kernel TLS on Linux but
that was because we were looking at per-message (in Kafka world) encryption
with asymmetric envelope so it could be off the context here.

None-the-less I will read the thread in more detail just to gain more
knowledge, it has been really a great technical discussion.

Thanks
Maulin