Hello all,

We currently depend on Maven Ant Tasks (MAT) during build, for declaring
dependencies and generating POM files from within build.xml. MAT has long been
retired (no commits since maintenance in 2015), has registered CVEs in its
dependencies (CVE-2017-1000487), and encourages migration to its successor,
Maven Artifact Resolver Ant Tasks (MARAT). More detail in the Jira:

I have a PR up to remove our dependency on MAT, with discussion from David
Capwell and Mick Semb Wever: https://github.com/apache/cassandra/pull/1725

There are two main items for wider discussion:

1. Is it worth addressing this CVE and retired dependency with changes to our
build system, or should we suppress it?

2. Are there more alternatives to Maven Ant Tasks that should be considered,
like Ivy?

My stance, summarized from the PR comments, is that a retired dependency that
does not receive security updates (current CVE or not) should be replaced by a
maintained project, and that the general approach in the PR (give or take minor
changes to POM packaging) is the one most compatible with our current approach,
and does not preclude any build system changes in the near or distant future.

Curious to hear from others.

—
Abe