Hi Amit,

I am inclined to agree with Bowen Song, in that benchmarks from an initially
empty cluster tend to lean more heavily on memtable and commit log bottlenecks
than a real-world long running cluster does, as the algorithmic complexity of
LSMTs begin to bite much later while the cost of the commit log and memtable
stay fairly constant. The more data you have, the less commit log and memtable
performance directly matter, and memtable size becomes much more important
along with compaction efficiency.

That said, reducing bottlenecks is still a good thing if the additional
complexity is not severe - and this is still an unfortunately common way that
we benchmark changes today, anyway.