> Isn't there an assumption here that encryption can not be used?  Would we
> not be better served to build in an encryption strategy that keeps the data
> encrypted until the user shows permissions to decrypt, like the unmask
> property?  An encryption strategy that can work within the Cassandra
> internals?
> I think that issue is that there are some data fields that should not be
> discoverable by unauthorized users/systems, and I think this solution masks
> that issue.  I fear that this capability will be seized upon by pointy
> haired managers as a cheaper alternative to encryption, regardless of the
> warnings otherwise, and that as a whole will harm the Cassandra ecosystem.

Data encryption, access permissions and data masking are different
solutions to different problems. We don't have to choose between them, and
indeed we should aim to support the three of them at some point. None of
these features impedes the implementation of the others. Actually, is quite
common for popular databases to provide all of them.

Data encryption should protect the data files from anyone that has direct
access to the data files, such sstables, commitlog, etc. It offers
protection outside the interfaces of the database. Of course there is also
encryption of communications.

Permissions should completely prevent the access of unauthorized users to
the data within the database interface. Currently we have permissions on
CQL at the keyspace and table level, but we are missing column-level
permissions.

Data masking obfuscates all or part of the data without totally forbidding
access to it. The key here is that the masked data can still contain parts
of the original information, or be representative enough. For example,
masking can obfuscate all the digits of a credit card number except the
last four, so the clear digits can be used for some degree of
identification. As another example, a masking function returning the hash
would allow to join the masked data of different sources without exposing
it.

An example of how data masking and permissions can be used together could
be a company storing the social security numbers (SSN) of its customers.
The accounting team might need full access to the stored SSNs. Employees
attending phone calls might need to ask for the last two digits of SSN for
identification purposes, so they would need masked access. The rest of the
organization would need no access at all.

This CEP focuses exclusively on data masking, but there is no reason not to
start parallel work on other related-but-different features like
column-level permissions on on-disk data encryption.