I took a stab at creating a patch that I think addresses most of the comments I
saw in this thread, would love feedback in
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-18204>

Given that the leading solution is git submodules I went down this path and
fleshed out the things I saw in this thread.  I don’t think this patch is 100%
perfect (been trying to figure out release logic to confirm) so would love to
here places that I neglected or problem areas found!