From an operator's view, I think the most reliable indicator is not the total count of corruption events, but the frequency of the events. Let me try to explain that over some examples:

1. many corruption events in short period of time, then nothing after that
   The disk is probably still healthy.
   The spike in corruption events could be the result of reading some
   bad blocks that hasn't been accessed for a long time
   A warning in the log is preferred.
2. sparse corruption events over many years, the total number is high
   The disk is probably still healthy.
   As long as the frequency does not have an obvious increasing trend,
   it should be fine.
   A warning in the log is preferred.
3. clusters of corruption events started recently and continues to
   happen for days or weeks
   The disk is probably faulty.
   Unless the access pattern from the application side has changed,
   this is a fairly reliable indicator that the disk has failed or is
   about to.
   Initially, a warning in the log is preferred. If this persists for
   too long (configurable number of days?), raise the severity level to
   error, and depending on the disk_failure_policy, may stop or kill
   the node.
4. many corruption events happening continuously
   The disk is probably faulty.
   Other than faulty disk or damaged data (e.g. data getting
   overwritten by a rogue application, like a virus), nothing else
   could explain this situation.
   An error in the log is preferred, and depending on the
   disk_failure_policy, may stop or kill the node.

Internally, inside Cassandra, this could be implemented as a fixed number of scaling sized time buckets, arranged in such way that the event frequency over different sized time window can be calculated and compared to other recent time windows of the same size. For example: 24x hourly buckets, 30x daily buckets and 24x monthly buckets will only need to store 78 integers, but will show the difference between the above 4 examples. Externally, exposing those time buckets via the MBeans should be sufficient, maybe an additional cumulative counter can be added too.

Failing that, a cumulative counter exposed via MBeans is fine. As an operator, I can always deal with that in other tools, such as Prometheus.

On 09/03/2023 20:57, Abe Ratnofsky wrote:
> there's a point at which a host limping along is better put down and replaced

I did a basic literature review and it looks like load (total program-erase cycles), disk age, and operating temperature all lead to BER increases. We don't need to build a whole model of disk failure, we could probably get a lot of mileage out of a warn / failure threshold for number of automatic corruption repairs.

Under this model, Cassandra could automatically repair X (3?) corruption events before warning a user ("time to replace this host"), and Y (10?) corruption events before forcing itself down.

But it would be good to get a better sense of user expectations here. Bowen - how would you want Cassandra to handle frequent disk corruption events?

--
Abe