I’m not sure we have an explicit rule at the moment. Would probably based on
calendar time in addition to release versions if we had one.

Addressing these on case by case basis for now is fine IMO.

I’d say the general principle should be treat extended compatibility (between
releases in general and subcomponents) should be treated more as a feature and
less as a liability. In this particular case you have compatibility by default
by doing nothing, it’s not a huge complexity burden, it’s a tiny amount of
code, it has clear value, and you have to get out of your way to actually
cripple it and remove the compatibility. Bad idea.