From: Brandon Williams <dri...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2023 2:33
To: dev@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is simplenative in cassandra-stress still relevant?

NetApp Security WARNING: This is an external email. Do not click links or open
attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 7:15 PM Brad <bscho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you're performing stress testing, why would you not want to use the
> official driver?  I've spoken to several people who all have said they've
> never used simplenative mode.

I agree that it shouldn't be used normally, but I'm not sure we should
remove it, because we can't remove it fully: SimpleClient is still
used in many tests, and I think that should continue.

If you suspect any kind of native proto or driver issue it may be
useful to have another implementation easily accessible to aid in
debugging the problem, and the maintenance cost of keeping it in
stress is roughly zero in my opinion.  We can make it clear that it's
not recommended for use and is intended only as a debugging tool,
though.

Kind Regards,
Brandon