Perhaps pre-commit checks should include mostly the typical configuration
of Cassandra rather than some subset of possible combinations. Like it was
said somewhere above - test with the default number of vnodes, test with
the default compression settings, and test with the default heap/off-heap
buffers.

A longer-term goal could be to isolate what depends on particular
configuration options. Instead of blindly running everything with, say,
vnodes enabled and disabled, isolate those tests that need to be run with
those two configurations and run the rest with the default one.

... the rule of multiplexing new or changed tests might go a long way to
> mitigating that ...

I wonder if there is some commonality in the flaky tests reported so far,
like the presence of certain statements? Also, there could be a tool that
inspects coverage analysis reports and chooses the proper tests to
run/multiplex because, in the end, we want to verify the changed production
code in addition to the modified test files.

thanks,
Jacek

śr., 5 lip 2023 o 06:28 Berenguer Blasi <berenguerbl...@gmail.com>