I can certainly start a VOTE thread for the CQL syntax addition. There
hasn't been any feedback that suggests that there is an unaddressed
concern to the changes we are making.

That said, I'm not sure if there was explicit decision that has resulted
in an update to the project's governance to reflect this requirement? If
there is I seem to have missed it. There was a discussion in the past
about notifying the dev list to ensure there is visibility to changes
but I don't recall whether there was an explicit voting requirement.