This adds maintenance overhead but is a potential alternative. I would only
flip the flag. I would prefer to make the default "legacy" output and innovate
behind a "--output-format=v2" flag. That way tools do not break or have to
change to pass in the new flag.

Ideally we should always version our output format - structured or not.

Dinesh