I think that we can get more developers interested if there are available
javadocs.  While many of the core classes are not going to be touched by
someone just starting, being able to understand what the external touch
points are and how they interact with other bits of the system can be
invaluable, particularly when you don't have the entire code base in front
of you.

For example, I just wrote a tool that explores the distribution of keys
across multiple sstables, I needed some of the tools classes but not much
more.  Javadocs would have made that easy if I did not have the source code
in front of me.

I am -1 on removing the javadocs.