Hi everyone,

Some of you remember that Paulo raised a concern around warnings about
missing modules on startup during the 5.0 alpha2 voting.[1]
We opened the ticket CASSANDRA-19001. The problem turned out to be not a
5.0 one.
Those modules are missing when we run Cassandra on JRE. Those warnings
happened to appear only when using Java 17. However, the modules are also
missing with Java 11…

jdk. attach is needed for nodetool sjk hh. When someone tries to use
that command, they get an error that JDK is expected. There isn't
anything to do about that here.

Now, the potential issue comes with jdk.compiler. It was added for
Chronicle queues as per this article -
https://chronicle.software/chronicle-support-java-17/

I tried contacting the project to understand the implications of
missing this module - errors expected/degraded performance. I did not
get any response so far. More details on the ticket. (CASSANDRA-19001)

In the meantime, a discussion of whether we want to recommend using
JRE and not JDK started on the ticket. For more details, please check
CASSANDRA-19001.

FQL and Audit Logging use Chronicle Queues. Our CI does not show any
issues when I remove the add-opens/add-exports for jdk.compiler, but
that doesn't mean there is no hidden issue, as we all know.

Naturally, I have a few questions for you:

1) Does Anyone have more experience with Chronicle queues and have
some thoughts/advice to share? Is it worth it to dig more into the
Chronicle repos ourselves?

2) Do we want to recommend people to switch to JDK? Or should we warn
that JDK is recommended on startup if someone has enabled Audit
Logging/FQL and is using JRE? These are some of the options so far
mentioned on CASSANDRA-19001. What we decide will also influence the
response to 1) (Is it worth it to dig more into the Chronicle repos
ourselves?).

A few notes:

- our CI tests with JDK

- our packages check JRE

- the official docker image has used JRE for years

- our docs are inconsistent when mentioning JDK and JRE in different places

https://lists.apache.org/thread/sb3qfmgfx9hpbm58jfo83qsdsxqpqscx