I'm gonna take a moment to outline the question. Here we have a point
in time where a time-driven release process clashes with the
alpha/beta release naming convention: we want to have a beta ready
_before_ the Summit.

Here's the Cassandra release lifecycle document [1] that I found
(still under discussion I think) and according to the 'beta'
definition we should have a green CI and no regressions for a beta
release.  This means that there may be known bugs in the new features
we are trying to ship. Unless I'm not missing something, 5.0 currently
meets the 'beta' criteria and the definition itself sounds clear to
me.

So, the question is - should we find a better place for the [1] page
and move it somewhere under the 'officially accepted'? :-)

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/Release+Lifecycle