Hi,

Now seems like a good time to discuss the future direction of the row cache and
its only implementation OHC (https://github.com/snazy/ohc).

OHC is currently unmaintained and we don’t have the ability to release maven
artifacts for it or commit to the original repo. I have reached out to the
original maintainer about it and it seems like if we want to keep using it we
will need to start releasing it under a new package from a different repo.

I see four directions we could pursue.

1. Fork OHC and start publishing under a new package name and continue to use it
2. Replace OHC with a different cache implementation like Caffeine which would
move it on heap
3. Deprecate the row cache entirely in either 5.0 or 5.1 and remove it in a
later release
4. Do work to make a row cache not necessary and deprecate it later (or maybe
now)

I would like to find out what people know about row cache usage in the wild so
we can use that to inform the future direction as well as the general thinking
about what we should do with it going forward.

Thanks,
Ariel