On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 10:23 AM Jon Haddad <j...@jonhaddad.com> wrote:

> This seems like a lot of work to create an rsync alternative.  I can't
> really say I see the point.  I noticed your "rejected alternatives"
> mentions it with this note:

I want to point out a few things before dismissing it as an 'rsync
alternative' -

1. rsync is dangerous for many reasons. Top reason is security. rsync
executed over ssh offers a much broader access than is necessary for this
use-case. Operators also have to maintain multiple sets of credentials for
AuthN/AuthZ - ssh being just one of them. Finally, ssh isn't simply allowed
in some environments.

2. rsync is an incomplete solution. You still need to wrap rsync in a
script that will ensure that it does the right thing for each version of
Cassandra, accounts for failures, retries, etc.

The way I see it is if this solves a problem and adds value for even a
subset of our users it would be valuable to accept it.

Dinesh