Replies from my side for the other points of the discussion:

*Managing C* life cycle with Sidecar*

>lifecycle / orchestration portion is the more challenging aspect. It would
be nice to address that as well so we don’t end up with something like
repair where the building blocks are there but the hard parts are left to
the operator

CEP-1 has lifecycle operations under scope.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=95652224#CEP1:ApacheCassandraManagementProcess(es)-3.Lifecycle(safelystart,stop,restartC*).
I think it can be leveraged when implemented as part of CEP-1.

*On backup & restore use case*

I see similarities between backup/restore & this migration. But I feel
there will be considerable differences while implementing it and we might
need to tailor the API to make it usable for backup & restore. I think
making the code/logic reusable can be an implicit goal. Does calling backup
& restore - a stretch goal or creating a separate CEP sounds fair?

*Migrate the largest keyspace to a dedicated cluster*

Parick, proposed API can help to copy specific keyspace data to another
cluster. "No chance of doing this manually without some serious brain
surgery on c* and downtime." - sounds a bit tricky to me. Since the
clusters are independent, doing it without any coordination between
clusters and downtime sounds like a case this CEP is not targeting at the
moment.

*Live migration + TCM*

>We can implement CEP-40 using a similar approach: we can leave the source
node as both a read and write target, and allow the new node to be a target
for (pending) writes. Unfortunately, this does not help with availability
(in fact, it decreases write availability, since we will have to collect
2+1 mandatory write responses instead of just 2), but increases durability,
and I think helps to fully eliminate the second phase. This also increases
read availability when the source node is up, since we can still use the
source node as a part of the read quorum.

Alex, just want to make sure that I understand your point correctly. Are
you suggesting this sequence of operations with TCM?

* Make config changes
* Do the initial data copy
* Make destination part of write placements (same as source)
* Start destination instance
* Decommission the source
* Enable reads for destination by making it part of read placements (as
source)

>I am also not against to have this to be done post-factum, after
implementation of CEP in its current form, but I think it would be good to
have good understanding of availability and durability guarantees we want
to provide with it, and have it stated explicitly, for both "source node
down" and "source node up" cases.

It is a fair point. It is good to have the understanding of availability
and durability guarantees during migration. I can create a JIRA for it
later.

Thanks!
Hari