It am okay with its use off hot paths in principle, and I’ve done it myself.

But as others have mentioned, it’s not obvious to every contributor what is and
isn’t a hot path. Also, the codebase is a living, shifting thing: a cold path
today can suddenly become hot tomorrow - it’s not uncommon.

Another benefit to this binary decision flow is that we can easily enforce it
with our lint tooling just for non-test part of the codebase. It’s just easier
to scale.