To follow up with this: now that the weekend is over I'm closing the
poll.  The vote count was relatively small (16 votes total) and the
breakdown goes as follows:

* 12 (75%) - Robust support for protocol version 5 across all drivers
* 3 (18.8%) - Robust support for vectors across all drivers
* 1 (6.3%) - No strong preference

   Thanks to everyone who voted!

    - Bret -