As a linux Cayenne user (and really, as a user on any platform), I
don't see the point of installing Cayenne as an RPM or with any kind
of installer.   Different projects require different versions of
Cayenne, and I wouldn't want an automatic upgrade changing the version
on me.

As for a desktop app, I think all that you have to do is create a
CayenneModeller.desktop file and copy it to the Desktop folder.   This
is under OpenSUSE Mate (previously Gnome) but I think it also works
for KDE and other window managers.

Here's an example of an entry I created for Eclipse:

mkienenb@linux-4eqv:~/Desktop> cat eclipse.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Eclipse
X-SuSE-translate=true
Categories=Development;IDE;
Exec=/home/mkienenb/Apps/eclipse/eclipse.sh -vm /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_34/bin/java
GenericName=Eclipse IDE
X-KDE-StartupNotify=true
MimeType=application/x-designer;
Icon=/home/mkienenb/Apps/eclipse/eclipse128.png
Type=Application
Comment[en_US]=see eclipse.ini for command-line args
GenericName[en_US]=Eclipse IDE

Here's one I just threw together for Cayenne Modeler.   I don't
pretend to be an expert on what all of the parameters mean, so some of
them may be wrong.

mkienenb@linux-4eqv:~/Desktop> cat CayenneModeler.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Cayenne 3.1 Modeler
X-SuSE-translate=true
Categories=Development;Programming
Exec=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_34/bin/java -jar
/home/mkienenb/java/cayenne-3.1B2/bin/CayenneModeler.jar
GenericName=Cayenne 3.1 Modeler
X-KDE-StartupNotify=true
MimeType=application/x-designer;
Icon=/home/mkienenb/workspaces/cayenne-checkout/STABLE-3.1/modeler/cayenne-modeler/src/main/resources/org/apache/cayenne/modeler/images/CayenneModeler.jpg
Type=Application
Comment[en_US]=
GenericName[en_US]=Cayenne 3.1 Modeler

However, when I tried to use $JAVA_HOME/bin/java, that failed, so you
probably cannot have a path based on an environment variable, which
means you would need to create it with a shell script rather than just
drag it onto your desktop.

If you copy it into /usr/share/applications, it shows up in the menus
on my system, with Categories controlling which menus.