Cayenne's concept of a data model is pretty much at the core of the whole
library. To replace that, and the fact that entities are all subclasses of
Cayenne entity classes, doesn't seem to be particularly helpful.

It is fairly trivial to change the velocity templates to add some annotations
to the generated classes, if that helps with your readability.

Having said that, we are always open to ideas and contributions. But I think
your proposal for this idea needs to be more defined and narrow in scope.
Perhaps a conversion between JPA annotations and cayenne modeler XML?

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis