> On Dec 2, 2014, at 1:51 PM, Aristedes Maniatis <a...@maniatis.org> wrote:

>>> On Dec 1, 2014, at 2:06 PM, Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think I'll actually create a "stable" branch for 4.0.M2, as new changes
>>> will keep coming in and we want the release to happen
>>
>> Which I just did: https://github.com/apache/cayenne/tree/4.0.M2_prerelease
>
> Cool. There is a lot of great work in there.

Yep. My app code looks so much cleaner after I migrated it to the new APIs. And
while still raw, the new cdbimport rules.

> I think our previous naming regime would have this branch called STABLE-4.0
> if we are ready to now make trunk/head available for new work that will not
> land into 4.0.

I didn't give much thought to the branch naming in this instance, as I am
planning to merge and delete this branch after the release (leaving the tag
around of course). So it is a short-lived thing.

> If this really is the end of all new features, then perhaps the next release
> will be 4.0-beta1?

There's more query API work planned. We need to align ProcedureQuery and
NamedQuery, and create a fluent thing for non-selecting SQLTemplates. Though
these can be done pretty quickly.

A bigger project is to bring all EJBQLQuery functionality into ObjectSelect -
multi-result selects, aggregate queries, etc. This is more challenging. Whether
this stuff should be 4.0 or say 4.1 is debatable. I feel there's lots of
benefit in a quick completion of 4.0. There are users who are only allowed to
use "GA" tagged dependencies in their work. And by the time we get a "full
solution", a few years may pass and it won't be as exciting by then :) So I am
+1 on the Beta idea.

Andrus