As I said before, I think you need to call
removeToManyTarget("${rel.Name}", obj, true); instead of
iterator.remove() and removeAll(), and then you need to call
addToManyTarget() instead of addAll().  Otherwise, you are losing the
reverse relationship changes.

But the rest seems ok.

I'm not saying that adding setList() to the default template is a good
idea, though.   I think having it in your custom template is good
enough.

I do everything with custom templates and rarely use the default
cayenne templates.