I thought of this too. Though I have mixed feelings about using Optional
casually. It is good in processing pipelines. But when used as property return
type in Java Beans to indicate nullable values, it just feels like syntax for
the sake of syntax (I tried a few times, reverted back to normal properties
every time).

So how about we try it on a small scale? Add an ExtendedType for it in
cayenne-java8, tell the community, and then sit back and wait if anyone
actually wants it :)

Andrus