On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 5:09 AM Andrus Adamchik <aadamc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I expected tools removal to be a controversial proposal. Still decided to
> throw it out there. I am always looking for opportunities to minimize our
> support footprint (hi, ROP :)). Properly maintaining the tools across 3
> build systems is a non-trivial effort (especially Gradle, due to the rest
> of Cayenne being built with Maven). Now we've only increased the footprint,
> as we'd need to be merging map.xml config with build file config. But of
> course I realize that lots of people have designed their Cayenne workflow
> around the build tools (and we encouraged it), and will not appreciate them
> being taken away.

I use cgen for more than just generating entity superclasses and
subclasses.   I use it for generating DAO objects, presentation layer
components, validation files, and even entire presentation layer pages in
some cases.   There is at least one internal CRUD app which is 99%
generated from cgen with very little original code.